Don't Stop Believing!


I share this photo in honor of the current and future moms who are in their late 30s and 40s and are praying to have their first or second baby. I share the photo as encouragement to the 40-something woman who was just told by an arrogant doctor that she’ll never have a baby. I share the photo as encouragement to the 35+ woman whose family, friends or co-workers said she is too old to have a baby. I share the photo as encouragement to the woman who’s just read or heard reports that celebrities giving birth after 40 with their own eggs are greatly exaggerated or nearly impossible. (I guess those of us non-celebrities who gave birth in our 40s with our own eggs not once but twice really mess up their data.)

I share this photo as a reminder that an All Powerful God can bring a child or children into a woman’s life by any means that He sees appropriate or as we say in the South “fit.” This includes a woman giving biological birth, which unfortunately, is the only birth some view as a woman’s “real baby.”  It also includes through adoption, which I’ve always viewed as positive, thanks to the loving experiences of family and friends. Although becoming a stepmom is often not given the same rank of importance as a way God brings a child into a woman’s life, I know from personal experience that custodial stepmoms should rank right up there with other moms.

As another older mom said, “If it’s your dream to have children, there is a way. Don’t give up.” You spoke the truth, my sister, you spoke the truth!

4 comments:

  1. Thank You and God Bless you and your family, Cynthia! My name is Christy. I'm a 39 years old Not-yet-married Christian Single. I've written inspirational columns for singles and am currently writing a book on the same topic ( I know I'll be contacting you at some pt for interview :-)

    I'll admit that this past year has been the most difficult in my faith walk...still believing, but more tears and worry...and though I've encouraged others, I acknowledge the need now to be encouraged by others who have been where I am and by their success stories (testimonies)!!! It's one thing to be 30, 32, even 36 and waiting, but it takes a different level of peace, endurance and faith as I approach the BIG 4-0. Your blog is a blessing from God.

    I'll be returning soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, thank you for your encouraging comments. I would be honored to be interviewed for your book on this topic. You’re right. It takes a different level of (I believe stronger) faith as a never-married Christian woman at 40 than it does at 30. When I married at 40, I was able to see a favorite scripture come to life: “Commit your way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.” Psalm 37:5 -King James 2000 Bible (©2003) Blessings to you my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest is now 17. It seems so long ago that I wondered if I would ever have children. Looking back, I'm happy that I was able to look beyond being a mother, even though it was a strong desire. To those who wonder as I did, I would try filling my life with other fulfillments, some of which may involve helping children. You never know what God has in store for you. Right Cynthia? :)

    ReplyDelete