Are You Mentally Prepared For A Baby?

When I gave birth to my first baby, my Aunt Edyth told me, “Get ready not to sleep for the next two years.”

After not getting a sound sleep for the next couple of months, I realized my aunt was not joking but speaking from experience!

The average newborn or toddler will zap the energy of any mother whether she is 22 or 42.

Let’s talk about newborns. The average newborn cries more than any new mom ever anticipates. The average newborn sleeps from 15 minutes to 2 hours before waking up for feeding.

Translation: The BEST scenario with the BEST baby. Mom gets to bed at 11:00 p.m. She is awakened at midnight by the sweet whimper of her newborn. She is awakened at 2 a.m. by the sweet whimper of her newborn. She is awakened at 4 a.m. by the crying of her newborn. Baby does not want to go back to sleep until 5a.m. Most women whether she is 25, 35, or 45 feel zapped/drained/exhausted after getting out of bed several times at night to feed or just to hold and comfort her crying baby.

Taking care of a baby is work and does require lots of energy. It is important to eat healthy and, every now and then, to allow people you trust to watch your little one for an hour or two while you take a break.

In upcoming posts, I’ll share other tips on preparing yourself mentally for your baby. Meanwhile, some of the best advice for women considering motherhood after 35 came from Anita, our Featured September-October 2011 Mom.

Anita said, “I think most women have an innate desire to become mothers, therefore, I wish to those who want children to be blessed with them; especially if they are over 35, an age that has allowed much thought time in previous years. However, I must qualify this statement by adding that women need to know that life as they know it will be gone when baby comes along and to be mentally prepared; yet the fulfillment to someone who wants to be a mom provides the greatest joy.”




4 comments:

  1. Who new that a quote from me would be a factor in another of your series. :)

    I hope that a lot of new moms and wanna-be moms will find their way to this post and future posts on this topic.

    It's wonderful that you're sharing your wisdom.

    Thank you, Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita, your comment really made me think about how most of spend too little time on the "mental preparation" of having a baby and more on the "physical" preparation of having a baby. It's almost like spending all your time planning for the wedding ceremony and not focusing on the marriage after the ceremony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely right! Moreover you have selected a GREAT picture to accompany your article. My son looks exactly like that when he wants something. It starts with a look, turns into a frown, a whimper, then a couple of yells and finally into a cry (if I don't address it by then!) God, I LOVE this pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this picture, too! Look at this baby's beautiful piercing eyes, probably accompanied with an equally piercing cry! Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete