Over 40 Mom Myth Shattered At My Grandfather’s 100th Birthday Party

Pictured above: grandfather with great-grand daughter at his 100th birthday party!

I attended my grandfather’s 100th birthday party on last week. I felt proud as he received honors for his involvement in the Civil Rights Movement from President Obama and other state, local and church officials. I beamed with pride as he was presented with our state’s flag and I learned that all members of my state’s Congress stood in honor of him during their last meeting.


"I'm not a big fella, but I got a big heart and a big mind,” he said as he accepted one of his awards. His key for long life is “treating people right and trusting God.” The memory that I hold dearest is seeing him dancing at his 100th birthday party!

According to the finding of some experts, a 100th year old man is NOT supposed to be dancing or giving acceptance speeches. No doubt, the forerunners of these same experts would have told my grandfather that he was too old at 40 to father another child. The experts would argue that it is unfair to a child to have older parents. Children would become orphans or in their 20s have to take care of older parents.

It’s hard to say what my grandfather’s response to the experts would have been. Probably the experts would have mistaken his overall easy-nature as weakness. Yet, his response would prove most powerful 60 years later as he danced at his 100th birthday party!

UPDATE: This post is in honor of my grandfather who passed away on January 16, 2013. God not only gave him “long years of life” but gave “life to his years”.  He lived 50+ years beyond what was expected in 1911. So you somewhat understand why my faith lies in a Higher Power than in the probability and the odds.

8 comments:

  1. What an attractive couple Grand-Father and Grand-niece make! Congratulations to him for all of his well earned accomplishments. I know you all must be very proud.

    Thanks for sharing his story and letting skeptics know that we don't all fit into a mold. As you know, I too, am a woman who had children over 40, and I'm claiming a healthy life that well get me to where Grand-Dad is today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita, thanks so much for your comment and always your support. I'm with you about "claiming a healthy life that will get me to my 100th birthday!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. I shared pics and video from the party with my students and coworkers and they were all amazed. All of this shows how everyone does not march to the same beat and that events happen in a different way and in a different season for everyone. If I make it to 100, I want to be able to be in my right mind and independent as well. Miracles like you with my beautiful cousins and great grandpa are truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Thanks for stopping by. I was on vacation and that's why it took me this long to visit you.
    Congrats to your grandfather, he looks old but he is still young at heart. My prayer has always been that I live to see my old age and my grand-children's children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments and welcome back Nekky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hitting a century in life, is an achievement indeed! May he live for another 100 years.

    Buy HCG Online

    ReplyDelete