Febrile Seizures: An Unexpected Encounter

Yesterday, a friend told me about a post that she read that reminded her of what I had experienced in October 2006 with my then-two year old daughter Jewel. The author of the site, Steph with Be Positive Mom at http://bepositivemom.com/ talked about a recent experience with febrile seizures. I encourage all moms with young children to read her post. Long before I started blogging, here is what I wrote to my family and friends after my encounter with febrile seizures:

Family and friends,

This email is a praise report. On last Thursday afternoon my 2-yr-old daughter Jewel was resting on the sofa trying to regain her strength from a sore throat, headache and other cold symptoms. I was monitoring
her temperature and was giving her Tylenol every 6 hours.

About 3:45 p.m. I checked her temperature and noticed a significant increase. She was about 103. I gave her more Tylenol. Nothing could prepare me-- except God for what happened next. Little Jewel's body
started shaking violently. She started breathing rapidly. Her eyes rolled back in her head. Heavy secretions flowed from her mouth.

Jewel's sisters, Faith and Taylor became very scared. Taylor began to cry. They didn't know what was happening and neither did I--but I knew who did. I begin praising God for taking care of the situation and
citing scriptures our family had studied the previous night. I called the doctor's office. The nurse told me to take Jewel to the emergency room at the Children's Hospital after the seizure stopped. I continued
comforting Jewel by telling her that God was with her and I kept her lying on her side (I did this by instinct but later learned that this allows secretions or vomit to drain out of the mouth and not into the lungs).

Between contacting the doctor and my husband, Jewel lost consciousness and had a huge bowel movement.
The staff at local Children's Hospital did a wonderful job. My husband and I learned that Jewel's seizure called a Febrile seizure is not a sign of epilepsy and is due to a rapid rise of temperature. Some children (some reports say 1 in 20) under age six are at risk for this, especially during the Fall or Winter season.

Jewel was released from the hospital the same evening. I was directed to alternate giving her Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours.

Here it is a week later, Jewel appears to be her normal sassy and active self. Unfortunately, she seems to be catching another cold from her sister Faith. In an attempt to control future febrile seizures, the doctors told me to give Jewel Tylenol every 4-6 hours at the first sign of cold.

This email was sent to you for two reasons:
1) join me in praising God for a favorable result for Jewel (and our family) and 2) this information about febrile seizure may benefit parents with young children, especially those under age 5. To learn more about febrile seizures, click on to the link below:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febrile_seizures/detail_febrile_seizures.htm

That was the end of my October 2006 email, but I would like to switch gears to announce the next 5 winners (as I promised on yesterday) of the Versatile Blogger Award:

Steph @ http://bepositivemom.com/

Kari @ http://thesimplebuffalolife.blogspot.com//

Anita @ http://btdas.blogspot.com/

Jeanne @http://myadventureinmommyhood.blogspot.com/

Michelle @ http://www.isthatyourchild.com//

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia, I read Steph's blog too. Until a few months ago (my friend's son had them as well) I was unaware of febrile seizures. I am so glad that I am armed with knowing about this in case our young son develops them.

    BTW - I am so happy to find your blog as I too became a mom for the first time after 35.

    Cynthia,
    Mommied Life by Cynthia | My Life as Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I am honored :-) I'm so glad both of our stories will help other moms and dads by having the knowledge of febrile seizures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, thanks for the comment and for sharing that you became a first time mom over 35. I visited your blogs and am now a follower.
    Steph, you're welcome and I love the name and story behind Be Positive Mom.

    ReplyDelete