Fear being a first-time over 35 or 40 mom?

Although it has been 7 years since I gave birth to my first child and 5 short years since I gave birth to my last child, I still remember the excitement mixed with fear. Although I have strong spiritual beliefs and I knew my long-anticipated prayers to become an expectant mom was now a reality, I was scared.

I was scared that I would miscarry. I was scared that I wouldn’t be able to handle childbirth pains. I was scared that something would be wrong with my baby.

During the moments that my miscarriage and labor fears calmed, my fears about my role in my child’s future increased. I worried how being so much older than the other moms would affect my child during her elementary school years as well as her high school years. I worried about dying without raising my child to adulthood. The list of my pregnancy and post-pregnancy fears seemed to be non-stop.

I’ll share with you how I dealt with each of my pregnancy fears in upcoming blogs. I will tell you if you’re an expectant mom over 35 or 40, pregnancy fears are common.

As a former childbirth educator, I haven’t met an expectant mother, whether she is 22 or 42, who hasn’t had some anxiety about her baby’s health. She wonders whether her baby will be born healthy. Thoughts that never entered her mind are present.

Movies, books, television, the nosy woman in the hair salon tell birth horror stories that increase a pregnant woman’s anxiety. Combine all of this with the hormone changes that take place in the body during pregnancy, and it’s a wonder that any woman survives pregnancy with her sanity in tact.

If you are an expectant mom over 35 or considering pregnancy after 35, I encourage you to visit http://www.inseasonmom.org/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cynthia. I'm a 40 yr young woman trying to get pregnant for the first time. I'm so glad to have come across your blog and am looking forward to hearing your stories. I have started my own blog about my journey and would love to swop stories with you.
    http://newtomum.blogspot.com/
    Annie

    ReplyDelete